Sharon Congregational

The Sharon Congregational Church
25 Main Street
Sharon, CT 06069


Office hours:  Tuesdays and Fridays from 10 am - 4 pm
Additional office hours are available by appointment and may be scheduled by calling the church.
Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it  

Also like us on FB - Sharon Congregational Church

We are a community of believers

called to live in the light of Jesus Christ

and to bring His light to a darkened world. 

Our Sunday worship services are at 10:30 am year round,except during the months of July and August, when we meet at 10 am.

Our vibrant Sunday School for grades K-8 and youth group for grades 9-12 meets during worship.

Pastor Rev. Robert Keay

We support a number of missions including Hospital Albert Schweitzer in Deschappelles, Haiti.  Their website may be accessed at


 A Brief History of SCC

The Sharon Congregational Church was organized in 1739, the same year that the town of Sharon was settled.  The current brick building, located at 25 Main Street, was built in 1824 and is the fourth structure to house the community of faith.  The land for the building was given by Samuel Rockwell in 1823 to the First Ecclesiastical Society of Sharon “forever… for the express purpose of erecting and maintaining thereon a Suitable Edifice for the service of Almighty God….to be Congregational or Presbyterian….and particularly excluding all sects and denominations who….deny the divinity of Jesus Christ.”  The warrantee deed is recorded in Volume 20, page 23 of the Sharon Land Records.  This meetinghouse was dedicated on February 21, 1825.  The church’s historical records noted that over 1500 people attended the dedication, many of whom stood outside during the ceremony. 

Since that dedication, the meetinghouse was significantly changed four times.  The first modification, a seven month long project, took place during the Civil War in 1864.  The pulpit, which stood where the present entrance doors are located, was moved to the back wall.  In the following years, the second alteration was the installation of a pipe organ behind the pulpit.  The third transformation occurred in 1939 in observance of the 200th anniversary when the organ was moved to the rear balcony.  The fourth revision came in 1958 was the addition of the Church House which added a kitchen, social room and classrooms.  

The most famous minister of the church was the Rev. Cotton Mather Smith.  Rev. Smith was a 1751 graduate of Yale University.  He served as a teacher at the Indian mission school in Stockbridge, Massachusetts while the famous preacher Jonathan Edwards was serving as overseer. [Jonathan Edwards, A Life, by George Marsden, (2003, Yale University Press, p. 405)]  Rev. Smith came to Sharon in 1755 and served as the minister of the church until his death in 1806.  During his time as pastor here, he delivered over 4,000 sermons of which three were published.  He also served as chaplain under General Philip Schulyler during the Revolutionary War at Ticonderoga.  His wife was Temperance Worthington and their son, Jonathan Smith, served as governor of Connecticut from 1813 to 1818.

Last Updated (Tuesday, 10 April 2018 14:46)